This Indian beauty has acted in Hindi, Malayalam and Telegu films.
Zarina was born in Vishakhapatnam. She has trained at the prestigious Film and Television Institute of India, Pune. She married the Bollywood actor Aditya Pancholi in 1986, and has 2 kids, a daughter Sana and a son Suraj. Sana has been trying her hand at acting.
• Zarina’s first film was Ishq Ishq (1974). Directed by Dev Anand, it had a powerful star cast, with names like Dev Anand, Zeenat Aman and Shabana Azmi appearing on the list.
• She was the female lead in Basu Chatterjee’s Chitchor (1976), one of her most successful films. A classic love story, the same plot was later used for Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon (2003).
• In 1977 she starred in Gharonda, opposite Amol Palekar and Shreeram Lagoo. She played the role of Chaya, a middle class working girl in Mumbai. Her sensitive performance gained her a Filmfare nomination for Best Actress.
• Some of her better known films include: Ek aur Ek Gyarah (1981), Dahleez (1986), Adhikar (1986), Toofan (1989) and Dil Maange More (2005).
• Zarina has worked in a Telugu movie Gajula Kishtayya (1975) and Malayalam films like Sara Varsham (1982), Enthino Pookunna Pookal (1982), Manasariyathe (1984) and Calendar (2009).
• She will be playing the role of Shah Rukh Khan’s mother in My Name is Khan, scheduled to release in 2010.
Not very well known facts:
Apparently the legendary Raj Kapoor met her when she was at FTII. He was not impressed with the way she looked, so she worked on that, and began attending a lot of film events to get noticed.
Aditya Pancholi is 5 years younger than her.